Hello Students, Parents, and Community Members,
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year at Hmong College Prep Academy! Our staff and faculty members are excitedly preparing and greatly anticipating the arrival of our students. For the coming year, I am honored and pleased to serve as the Interim Assistant Director of Teaching and Learning for our elementary school. I began my career at HCPA in the classroom and have had the privilege of guiding our young scholars and teachers as an instructional coach over the last few years. During my time at HCPA, I have seen our educational program grow and strengthen. For the upcoming year, it is my goal that all our students continue to not only expand their knowledge, but are challenged to think, discuss, write, and read critically about the world around them. Thus, I am excited to update you on a few highlights for 2016-2017!
- enVision Curriculum – We are now entering our second year using our enVision math curriculum in all elementary classrooms. Having a year of experience, our staff and teachers look forward to continuing to use the curricular resources to enhance student learning and achievement.
- College Prep and PBIS – Last year’s College Prep Program was revamped from its C3 predecessor, focusing on positive reinforcement and on honing character traits and Warrior Values that will help foster success in school and beyond. We will be continuing our College Prep Program this year and are planning new and innovative ways to involve and engage students.
- Chromebooks – Once our school year begins, we will start distribution of our new Dell Chromebooks to all of our elementary classrooms. This exciting technology will be implemented to replace the former KUNO tablets. With the Chromebooks, students will have access to classroom resources and to several online subscriptions and programs with which they can strengthen their understanding of academic content.
- Schoology – This year will be our first utilizing Schoology as an online learning management system. Many school districts across the state of Minnesota have actively used Schoology to bring digital learning to students, making lessons and classroom resources more technologically integrated. As we roll out the program, we will be communicating more information about your ability to access Schoology and about how Schoology will look and function in our elementary classrooms.
As parents, guardians, and community leaders, your role in your student’s education is an important one. Your commitment and involvement in your child’s education solidifies its importance, helping to shape how they view learning and school. Throughout our year, you can help ensure a positive impact on your student by:
- Ensuring a quiet time and place to work on homework. Student homework can be expected every evening at each grade level.
- Encouraging reading by reading with and to your students. Research shows that students who read more perform better in school.
- Checking their Take Home Folder daily and weekly for important news and student work! Celebrate learning with your student and encourage them to take on new challenges. Life is full of them!
Throughout our school year, please feel welcome to stop by and join your student at any time and for any lesson, project, field trip, or event. It is both my mission and our school’s mission to cultivate strong relationships with our families and community. We are excited for the year to come – it will be great!
Yours in learning,
Elementary Interim Assistant Director of Teaching and Learning